Nevae
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enter Nevae, a world where monsters are the dominant force. Humans, elves, and dwarves are no longer the ruling races, instead driven to the brink of extinction by the murderous Yuan-ti. But chaos cannot rule forever...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Just another job

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Silk

Silk

Character Sheet
Class: Assassin
Current Hit Points:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue37/37Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (37/37)
Current XP:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue2250/3750Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (2250/3750)

Just another job Empty
PostSubject: Just another job   Just another job EmptySat May 29, 2010 8:38 pm

Shadows gathered in the tavern. Twilight was long past and the lanterns were burning low. There was a light rain pattering on the windows. Most of the patrons had left long ago. Only a group of goblins still remained and four of them had already passed out on the floor. The remaining two were well into their cups and their boisterous antics had trickled down to an occasional lethargic giggle. The barkeep would have closed long ago, ushering those still able to stand out, but he had special instructions to stay open late this night. He glanced over into the corner. Deep shadows hid the table there.

The door opened, carefully. A kenku walked in, hooded cloak covering his head. He looked around the common room and his gaze settled on the shadowed table. He ordered a drink, a small ale. The barkeep scowled at the creature. The goliath had never liked the kenku, they had a tendency to drink like the birds they resemble. He handed the small cup over.

"One more thing, if you will. A taper to light the lantern, please." The voice was deep and polite, not what you'd expect from the sharp beak. The barkeep turned and lit a taper from the stove, handing it to the bird creature. "Thank you." A silver piece was placed on the counter. The goliaths opinion of the kenku changed for the better.

Drooping goblin eyes followed the flickering light as it passed across the room, until it settled and lit the lantern on the table in the corner. As one of the small creatures belched and joined his brothers on the floor, the other, slightly more sober one, watched as the figure at the table came into focus. It was large and hairy and red. A small black cloak covered black leather armor. The crimson fur was clean and shone with health. The hands stood out, obsidian claws clutched a small glass, almost daintily. The head was that of a hyena, black speckles, black tipped ears, a black crest, and unusually, six small black horns. The eyes were the most interesting, the golden orbs were not unusual in themselves, but the black markings around them were shaped like raven wings. The ears swiveled toward the sound of another thump and the eyes watched the last goblin fall unconscious.

A chuckle, like a hyena's laugh escaped the gnoll's throat. "Yehehehe! Goblins could never hold their drink." A voice like satin. Smooth and seductive.

"I am not here to discuss the drinking habits of goblins, Silk. We have need of your services." The kenku had sat down across from the gnoll.

"My services are always at the temples disposal. But please, Yistoss, must it always be business?" Silks lips puckered in a frown.

"Of course not." If the beak could smile it would have. Yistoss took a sip of his drink. "I hope you're not busy?"

"Yehehehe! I am on a job but it is no matter. It shall be concluded not long after you leave. So tell me, how has services at the temple been?"

Yistoss sighed. "Not good this past month. People are shying from the Raven Queen. Too many are afraid of the final sleep. The world is too dark for people to appreciate the beauty of death."

"Ah, tis true, dear Yistoss. But business has been good for me, lately. No complaints here." He grinned a sharp white smile. "I have offers left and right. And the temple will occasionally bless me with with its attention."

"Speaking of which... if you don't mind?" The feathered hand placed a silver amulet on the table. The round pendant had an obsidian ravens head in the center.

Silks black claws carefully picked it up. He stared at in awe. "This... must be an important job, Yistoss. This comes from the mistress, herself."

"Indeed, Silk. This may be the most important job of your career." The kenku leaned forward. "Perhaps of anyone's."

"Target?" The gnoll stared at the pendant reverentially.

"The most difficult mortal to kill. The one who has lived too far beyond his time. The one who has upset the very balance of the world itself."

"Oh, is that all?" The sarcastic tone was not lost on Yistoss. "Deal."

"Do you want to negotiate a price? We are willing to pay-"

"No price. This is in service to the mistress."

The kenku spit his drink and sputtered. "No... no price? But you have always charged us! Fairly, yes, but there was always a price!"

"You don't understand, Yistoss." The golden eyes gleamed. "This is truly in service of the mistress. She has made her intentions known."

"Well... I... I shall inform the temple of your decision." Yistoss stood and bowed to the gnoll. "Enjoy your night, Silk." He straightened and walked out of the tavern.

Silk carefully placed the amulet around his neck and tucked it under his cloak. He then stood up and walked up to the barkeep.

"Headin' out, sir?" The deep gravelly voice of the innkeeper trembled a bit. He had heard the conversation and had suspicions of the nature of the business discussed.

"Oh, yes." Shadows engulfed the gnoll and he was suddenly gone from sight. The goliath backed up, trying to see where he had gone. Claws grasped his neck from behind. "I'm off to kill the king! Yehehehe!" Red blossomed under each claw as they dragged across the innkeepers skin, opening the throat and releasing the life blood. The goliath was dead before he hit the floor. Silk carefully wiped his claws clean. He placed a single silver coin next to the one that Yistoss had left. "For the mess." He told the corpse.

The assassin, job completed, walked out into the rain.

Last edited by Silk on Sat May 29, 2010 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Goddess
Admin
The Goddess

Character Sheet
Class: God
Current Hit Points:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue100000000/100000000Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (100000000/100000000)
Current XP:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue0/0Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Just another job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just another job   Just another job EmptySat May 29, 2010 8:46 pm

Nice story and drive, Silk.

200 xp will be added to your character sheet.
Back to top Go down
https://nevae.rpg-board.net
Gyrax

Gyrax

Character Sheet
Class: Paladin
Current Hit Points:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue4/42Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (4/42)
Current XP:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue2300/3750Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (2300/3750)

Just another job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just another job   Just another job EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 11:46 pm

A silver coin to go on each eye. His mourners will appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toonbat.deviantart.com
Gyrax

Gyrax

Character Sheet
Current Hit Points:
Current XP:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue2300/3750Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (2300/3750)

Just another job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just another job   Just another job EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 3:17 pm

Why did anyone even want the bartender killed, though? Did he take the Magic Missile out of the drinks menu? Dwarven stout with a thimbleful of Drow Poison.
Back to top Go down
Silk

Silk

Character Sheet
Class: Assassin
Current Hit Points:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue37/37Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (37/37)
Current XP:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue2250/3750Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (2250/3750)

Just another job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just another job   Just another job EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 11:43 pm

He may not have always been a bartender. Perhaps he ran from someone he owed a bit too much money...
Back to top Go down
Cyrus "Bones" Strago

Cyrus

Character Sheet
Class: Chaos Sorcerer
Current Hit Points:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue38/38Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (38/38)
Current XP:

Just another job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just another job   Just another job EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:16 am

Or he ran off with your clients girlfriend.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Grimlock64
The Goddess
Admin
The Goddess

Character Sheet
Class: God
Current Hit Points:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue100000000/100000000Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (100000000/100000000)
Current XP:
Just another job Left_bar_bleue0/0Just another job Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Just another job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just another job   Just another job EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 11:53 pm

Silk: based on your back story, you get the Shadows Master backstory bonus. Please add +3 to your stealth.
Back to top Go down
https://nevae.rpg-board.net
Gyrax

Gyrax

Character Sheet
Current Hit Points:
Current XP:

Just another job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just another job   Just another job EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Whaaaat? My angelic little harpy gets the 'Carrion Eater' background, and Mr. I-Eat-Other-Monsters'-Leftovers-And-The-First-Three-Inches-Of-Dirt-Below-Them Hyena Boy doesn't? I demand a recount!

Kidding! Endurance is more awesome than stealth. Also, she totally is a scavenger. ;D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Just another job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just another job   Just another job Empty

Back to top Go down

Just another job
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nevae :: Characters :: Histories and Backstories-
Jump to: